(make 30 pieces)
1 kg chicken , lamb or mutton - cut into bite size
50 pcs dried chestnuts (size uneven, soak and boil for 15 mins, remove membrane bits in slits)
30 salted duck egg yolks60 dried shitake mushrooms (soak in water to soften and trim the stem)
2 bulbs of garlic (finely chopped)
150g dried shrimp (soak in water for 10 mins, roughly chopped)
1.5 kg glutinous rice (soak in water overnight, drain rice)
200ml cooking oil
Marinate chicken , lamb or mutton :
1. Add 3 tbsp sugar, 5 tbsp dark soy sauce, 5 tbsp light soy sauce, 5 tbsp five spice powder, 2 tbsp cajun seasoning and 1 tbsp of pepper. Mix well and marinate overnight in fridge.
1. To prepare filling: heat oil in wok, stir fry marinated chicken , lamb or mutton for 5 mins, add dried mushrooms and dried chestnuts. Add 150ml water and let it simmer for another 15 mins or untill the meat is cook . Set aside.
2. To prepare glutinous rice: add 200ml oil into the wok used in (1). Add garlic and dried shrimp, stir-fry until fragrant. Add glutinous rice, mix well.
Sufficient oil added will ensure the rice wouldn't stick on the bamboo leave later.
Add 4 tbsp light soy sauce and 4 tbsp dark soy sauce. (Depends on how dark and salty you want the rice dumpling to be)
3. To assemble: Overlap two pieces of bamboo leaves, make a cone shape and press in a spoonful of rice, top with filling, salted duck egg yolks and cover with rice again, spoon some gravy from the filling onto the rice, wrap up the rice dumplings and tie with grass strands.
4. To Boil: Prepare a big pot of water, add 2 tbsp of salt, when water boiled, lower down the rice dumplings, boil for at least 1 hour. The water level has to be always above the rice dumplings. Take out the rice dumplings while it is done, dip dry the rice dumplings by hanging.
Enjoy ..Have a fun Weekend Everyone & Thanks for stopping by !