· 1 kilogram jumbo tiger prawns (about 8 prawns)
· 10 shallots, roughly chopped
· 4 cloves garlic, minced
· 4 tablespoons fermented soybeans (tauchu, whole bean or paste)*
· 1 tablespoon sugar
· 4 tablespoons chili sauce (ady put 10 tablespoons)
· 3 tablespoons tomato sauce
· 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
· a handful of fresh coriander including stems, chopped, reserve some leaves for garnish
· peanut oil for frying
· 1 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with 2 teaspoons water
· a small pinch of salt
Clean the prawns by removing the beards and legs. Snip off the sharp end of the tails and segment the prawns into four parts - head, two segments from the body and one from the tail. Using a pair of tweezers, remove any visible digestive tracks (or as I call them - poo shoots, heh). If using medium-sized prawns, keep them whole, butterfly and devein as usual. Chop the fermented soybeans or bean paste with the sugar and set aside in a bowl. Mix the chili, tomato and oyster sauce in another bowl.
Heat up oil in a large wok. On high flame, fry the shallots and garlic till fragrant. Add in the tauchu and sugar mix. Fry for a couple of minutes and add the sauce mixture. Combine well for another 3 minutes. Add a little water to the sauce mixture and fold in the prawns. Toss evenly with the sauce for 2 minutes. Cover for 1 minute. Remove lid and toss for another 2 minutes or till prawns are just cooked.
Thicken the sauce according to your liking with the cornstarch mixture. Season to taste by adding a little salt sparingly just to flavor as the tauchu is already salty. Remove to a serving platter and garnish with some picked coriander leaves and serve warm with your choice of rice, bun or bread.
I hope you smile today :)
Ady Greatsword Empire Kitchen Recipes,,